Please join us for a workshop about planned coral mitigation projects at Port Everglades. We will be requesting input from academia and the general public on potential locations and coral mitigation strategies for mitigation reefs for upcoming projects, including the Navigation Improvements Project. A webinar connection will be provided for those who cannot attend in-person.
Please RSVP as soon as possible to Erik Neugaard at firstname.lastname@example.org, and let him know if you will be attending in-person or via webinar.
Date: Wednesday, August 29, 2018
Time: 9:00-11:00 AM
Location: Broward County Government Center, 115 South Andrews Avenue, Conference Room 302, Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33301
Below is the agenda for the workshop:
9:00-9:05 Welcome and Introductions
9:05-9:15 Overview of Broward County’s Artificial Reef Program
- History and description of previous deployments.
- Update on tire removal project.
- Upcoming additions.
9:15-9:30 Port Everglades Northport Slip Expansion Projects
- Completed Slip 2 coral survey, relocation and monitoring.
- Upcoming Slip 1 coral survey and relocation.
9:30-9:45 Port Everglades Southport Turning Notch Expansion Project
- Mitigation reef creation.
- Coral surveys and relocation.
9:45-10:00 Port Everglades Navigation Improvement Project
- Availability of information.
- Project history and description.
- Coral and benthic community surveys.
- Potential coral and benthic community impacts.
- Coral and benthic community mitigation proposed in Environmental Impact Statement.
10:00-11:00 Feedback from scientific and recreation communities about mitigation reef placement and coral mitigation.
Relevant website links that may be of interest:
- Broward County Artificial Reef Program: www.broward.org/NaturalResources/BeachAndMarine/Pages/Reefs.aspx
- Broward County Artificial Reef Locations: www.broward.org/EnvironmentAndGrowth/EnvironmentalProgramsResources/Publications/Documents/pub_marine_1.pdf
- Broward County Artificial Reefs for Mitigation: https://www.flseagrant.org/wp-content/uploads/3-Pat-Quinn.pdf
- Port Everglades: www.porteverglades.net
- Port Everglades Environment: www.porteverglades.net/environment
- Port Everglades Navigation Improvement Project: www.saj.usace.army.mil/Missions/Civil-Works/Navigation/Navigation-Projects/Port-Everglades
- Port Everglades Benthic Survey Data Viewer: http://bcgis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/View/index.html?appid=15d44b2af45945b5b61b777fd5361b76
- Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission Artificial Reefs: http://myfwc.com/conservation/saltwater/artificial-reefs
- Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission Artificial Reef Locations: http://geodata.myfwc.com/datasets/artificial-reefs-in-florida
- Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission Guidelines for Marine Artificial Reef Materials: http://myfwc.com/media/131591/ArtificialReefMaterialsGuidelines.pdf
- Florida Sea Grant Artificial Reefs: www.flseagrant.org/fisheries/artificialreefs
- Florida Sea Grant Guidelines and Management Practices for Artificial Reefs: http://nsgl.gso.uri.edu/flsgp/flsgph11003.pdf
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Artificial Reefs: https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/artificial-reef.html
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Bathymetric Attributed Grid (BAG): www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/bathymetry/hydro.html
- Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission Artificial Reefs: www.asmfc.org/habitat/artificial-reefs
- United States Coral Reef Task Force: www.coralreef.gov
- United States Coral Reef Task Force Mitigation Working Group: www.coralreef.gov/mitigation
- United States Environmental Protection Agency Coral Reefs: www.epa.gov/coral-reefs
- United States Environmental Protection Agency Handbook on Coral Reef Impacts: www.epa.gov/coral-reefs/handbook-coral-reef-impacts-avoidance-minimization-compensatory-mitigation-and
On August 24th, technical reports and other documents from Port Everglades will be available for download at ftp://bcftp.broward.org/AR-MR%20Workshop.
Username: “PEVPUBLIC” and;
We look forward to connecting with you and receiving your feedback on August 29th.
For more information, contact:
Erik Neugaard, MS, AICP, CP, CMS, CWB, GISP, PWS
Environmental Program Manager
Broward County Port Everglades
1850 Eller Drive, Suite #504
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33316